The Catholic Women's League of Victoria and Wagga Wagga was founded in 1916 by a visionary group of young women who sought to change the world through prayer and action. Since then, members of the League have played a dynamic role on the local, national and international stage.
The inaugural President of the League was a gifted young doctor called Mary Glowrey who later, as Sister Mary of the Sacred Heart JMJ, placed her life at the service of the medical and spiritual needs of the people of India. Her cause for canonisation commenced in November 2010.
Many of the special works begun by Dr Mary Glowrey and her colleagues continue to this day. The League now operates from Mary Glowrey House in Fitzroy and, has branches throughout Victoria and Wagga Wagga. Addressing social justice and ethical issues remains one of our primary tasks. We seek to influence legislative and administrative bodies at all levels of government in order to preserve the dignity of the human person, and to build a culture of life and love. The League also sows economic and social wealth into communities by assisting women and children with food, shelter, education, training and micro-credit.
Our work is dedicated to the Holy Spirit and Our Lady, Help of Christians.